A ultrasound check sends high recurrence sound waves through the stomach into the uterus. These bounce off the baby and a computer makes an interpretation of the returning echoes into a picture.
The picture demonstrates the infant’s position and developments. Hard tissues, for example, bone appear as white ranges on the picture, and delicate tissues seem dim and spotted.
Liquids, (for example, the amniotic liquid that the infant lies in) don’t mirror any echoes, so seem dark.
It is the differentiation between these diverse shades of white, grey and black that enables your specialist to decipher the pictures.
Most guardians anticipate their scan since it gives them the first look at their infant.
In India, it is illegal and a culpable offense to reveal the sexual orientation of your child with the assistance of ultrasound amid pregnancy. So you won’t see whether you are expecting a boy or a girl. As yet, seeing the main pictures of your child can be a strong bonding moment.
The ultrasound report will have a printout of your child’s pictures. Nonetheless, recollect that the main reason for the output is not to give the primary photograph to your infant collection. It is to watch that your child is developing and growing ordinarily.
3D and 4D shading scans are winding up noticeably exceptionally prominent in light of the fact that they offer a more life-like picture of your infant.
Is ultrasound safe?
Ultrasound scans have been utilized as a part of pregnancy for over 40 years with no known side effects. There are no connections between ultrasound introduction and:
- The baby’s birth weight
- Childhood leukaemias or different tumors/cancers
- Birth defects
All things being equal, there ought to be clear medicinal explanations behind doing an ultrasound scan, and all ultrasound introduction ought to be legitimized and constrained to the base expected to make an analysis.
Depending upon which phase of pregnancy they are done at, ultrasound scans can:
- Affirm where the fertilised egg has embedded itself. This is the place your placenta will develop.
- Check your child’s heartbeat.
- Say whether you are pregnant with one child or more.
- Identify an ectopic pregnancy, where the embryo embeds outside the womb, generally in the Fallopian tube.
- Discover the reason for any bleeding you might be having.
- Precisely date your pregnancy by measuring your baby.
- Survey the danger of Down’s syndrome by measuring fluid at the back of your child’s neck at 11 to 13 weeks (nuchal translucency scan).
- Discover why a blood screening test was unusual.
- Help to perform diagnostic tests securely, for example, CVS or amniocentesis, by demonstrating the position of the child and placenta
- Inspect your infant to watch that every one of his organs are growing normally.
- Analyze certain congenital anomalies, for example, spina bifida.
- Measure the amount of amniotic fluid and check the position of the placenta.
- Perceive how your infant is developing over a few scans.
- Check how the blood flows between your placenta and child.
Number of Ultrasound scans vary from person to person and Pregnancy to Pregnancy. If yours is a low risk pregnancy, you may have four or five scans amid your whole pregnancy.
These standard scans generally are:
- Dating and viability scan in the vicinity of 6 and 9 weeks.
- Nuchal translucency (NT) check once in a while called the early morphology scan in the vicinity of 11 and 13 weeks.
- Anomaly scan (ultrasound level II) in the vicinity of 18 and 20 weeks.
- Growth scan or fetal well being scan in the vicinity of 28 and 32 weeks.
- Growth scan and color doppler tests in the vicinity of 36 and 40 weeks.
You will require more scans if:
- You are over 35 years.
- You are carrying twins or more.
- There is a variation in your child’s normal size in view of your due date, and his real size as measured in a scan. This is known as intra-uterine growth restriction (IUGR).
- Any inconsistency or inconvenience with the pregnancy, for example, aging placenta, low or abnormal amounts of amniotic fluid, an anomaly in blood flow in the umbilical cord et cetera.
- You have a medical condition, for example, high blood pressure , gestational diabetes, an issue with your liver capacity which may bring about a few complications.